By Corinne Saunders
- Opens with a basic introductory part discussing London existence and politics, books and authority, manuscripts and readers.
- Subsequent sections specialise in Chaucer’s significant works – the dream visions, Troilus and Criseyde and The Canterbury Tales.
- Essays spotlight the main non secular, political and highbrow contexts for every significant work.
- Also covers very important common issues, together with: medieval literary genres; dream thought; the Church; gender and sexuality; and examining Chaucer aloud.
- Designed in order that every one contextual essay will be learn along one in all Chaucer’s significant works.
Read or Download A Concise Companion to Chaucer (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
This can be the 1st finished and comparative examine of compositional and stylistic concepts in medieval Arabic and Persian lyric poetry. Ranging over a few seven international locations, it bargains with works by means of over thirty poets within the Islamic global from Spain to present-day Afghanistan, and examines how this wealthy poetic traditions indicates either continuity and improvement within the use of a large choice of compositional techniques.
The medieval Norse-Icelandic saga is among the most vital ecu vernacular literary genres of the center a long time. This creation to the saga style outlines its origins and improvement, its literary personality, its fabric lifestyles in manuscripts and published variants, and its altering reception from the center a long time to the current time.
Those pleasant poems—by turns whimsical, attractive, and vulgar—seem to have basically survived simply because they have been attributed to Virgil. yet in David R. Slavitt’s innovative and beautiful translations, they stand firmly on their lonesome benefits. Slavitt brings to this little-known physique of verse a clean voice, vividly taking pictures the tone and magnificence of the originals whereas conveying a full of life experience of enjoyable.
The Iliad and the Odyssey are emotional powerhouses mostly due to their vast use of direct speech. but this attribute of the Homeric epics has led students to underplay the poems' use of non-direct speech, the significance of speech represented by means of characters, and the final sophistication of Homeric narrative as measured via its method of speech illustration.
- Cicero, Rhetoric, and Empire (Oxford Classical Monographs)
- The Annals of Quintus Ennius and the Italic Tradition
- Remembering the Crusades: Myth, Image, and Identity (Rethinking Theory)
- The Art of Vision: Ekphrasis in Medieval Literature and Culture (Interventions: New Studies Medieval Cult)
- Albert of Aachen's History of the Journey to Jerusalem: Volume 2: Books 7-12. The Early History of the Latin States, 1099-1119 (Crusade Texts in Translation)
- A History of Ottoman Poetry Volume III: 1520-1600: 1520-1600 Vol III (Gibb Memorial Trust Turkish Studies)
Additional info for A Concise Companion to Chaucer (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture)