By Kathryn Gutzwiller
- A consultant to the literature of the Hellenistic age, from the demise of Alexander the nice in 323 BCE to the conflict of Actium in 31 BC
- Provides overviews of the social, political, highbrow and literary ancient contexts within which Hellenistic literature was once produced
- Introduces the main writers and genres of the period
- Provides information regarding sort, meter and languages to assist readers without previous wisdom of the language in figuring out technical facets of literary Greek
- Distinctive in its assurance of present concerns in Hellenistic feedback, together with viewers reception, the political and social heritage, and Hellenistic theories of literature
Read Online or Download A Guide to Hellenistic Literature (Blackwell Guides to Classical Literature) PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
This is often the 1st accomplished and comparative learn of compositional and stylistic suggestions in medieval Arabic and Persian lyric poetry. Ranging over a few seven nations, it offers with works via over thirty poets within the Islamic global from Spain to present-day Afghanistan, and examines how this wealthy poetic traditions shows either continuity and improvement within the use of a large choice of compositional recommendations.
The medieval Norse-Icelandic saga is likely one of the most crucial eu vernacular literary genres of the center a long time. This creation to the saga style outlines its origins and improvement, its literary personality, its fabric life in manuscripts and published variations, and its altering reception from the center a while to the current time.
Those pleasant poems—by turns whimsical, attractive, and vulgar—seem to have basically survived simply because they have been attributed to Virgil. yet in David R. Slavitt’s innovative and attractive translations, they stand firmly all alone benefits. Slavitt brings to this little-known physique of verse a clean voice, vividly shooting the tone and elegance of the originals whereas conveying a full of life feel of enjoyable.
The Iliad and the Odyssey are emotional powerhouses principally due to their large use of direct speech. but this attribute of the Homeric epics has led students to underplay the poems' use of non-direct speech, the significance of speech represented through characters, and the general sophistication of Homeric narrative as measured by means of its method of speech illustration.
- Power and Sainthood: The Case of Birgitta of Sweden (The New Middle Ages)
- The Poetry of Pathos: Studies in Virgilian Epic
- Lucan (Oxford Readings in Classical Studies)
- T.S. Eliot and the Failure to Connect: Satire on Modern Misunderstandings (Palgrave Pivot)
Additional resources for A Guide to Hellenistic Literature (Blackwell Guides to Classical Literature)