By Elizabeth Demarest
In her new e-book, Betty Demarest describes a daring schedule for schooling reform—one that's firmly grounded in a synthesis of academic study approximately studying, instructing, and the contexts of schooling. The author’s “learning-centered” framework comprises: (1) a huge and balanced set of schooling objectives, (2) a multi-faceted inspiration of accomplishment, (3) lecture room potential for studying, (4) systemic capability and infrastructure, (5) shared, reciprocal responsibility, and (6) structures of a number of exams. New research-based options in those six components are significantly in comparison to older options in the back of standards-based reform and No baby Left Behind.
- A accomplished, substitute framework for destiny schooling reform that specializes in enhancing the center academic practices of studying, instructing, content material, and leadership.
- A federal function that emphasizes significant partnerships instead of top-down control.
- A critique of prior criteria and current accountability-based frameworks, with implications of the learning-centered framework for destiny nationwide coverage, in particular ESEA
- An operational definition of academic means, a re-conceptualization of responsibility, and a pointy reversal of the relative emphasis put on those strategies.
Elizabeth J. Demarestis an schooling advisor dwelling in Alexandria, Virginia. She used to be previously with the U.S. division of schooling and the nationwide schooling Association.
“Betty Demarest truly defines a learning-centered framework for bettering coverage and perform. Practitioners can enjoy the recommendations outlining a transparent pathway for reworking to learning-centered perform in our nation’s classrooms.” —Gerald N. Tirozzi, government director, nationwide organization of Secondary university Principals
“Betty Demarest’s deep adventure with study and coverage improvement permits her to re-envision reform at many degrees, all in line with learn proof for legitimate ideas and practices of training and studying. This booklet is a welcome present to policymakers and practitioners.”
—Roland Tharp, learn professor, college of California, Berkeley
“Demarest presents a research-based starting place for educated dialogue and debate as Congress renews federal schooling legislations. Her synthesis of key matters should still supply a kick off point for any severe dialogue of ways ahead in federal schooling policy.”
—Mary Haywood Metz, professor emerita, college of Wisconsin–Madison
Read Online or Download A Learning-Centered Framework for Education Reform: What Does It Mean for National Policy? PDF
Best education policy books
What is wrong with our faculties and the way we will repair Them examines the prestige of public schooling in North the USA and exposes a few of the absurd educational practices present in all-too-many faculties. Written via 3 skilled educators, this booklet presents readers with an instantaneous window into public schooling.
Do deepest and philanthropic suggestions to the issues of schooling sign the top of kingdom schooling in its ‘welfare’ shape? schooling coverage is being reformed and re-worked on a world scale. regulations are flowing and converging to provide a novel imaginative and prescient of ‘best perform’ in line with the equipment and tenets of the ‘neo-liberal imaginary’.
This fantastically written e-book highlights operating academics conversing on many key academic difficulties less than debate in addition to some of the arguable ideas positioned forth, together with remodeled instructor reviews, curricular standardization, and elevated checking out and knowledge assortment. Anthropologist Catherine Lutz and highschool instructor Anne Lutz Fernandez traveled the rustic to fulfill quite a lot of educators at the frontlines of educating throughout varied contexts—from conventional public faculties to charters to the house college; early in careers and close to retirement; in urban, city, suburb, and kingdom.
The similarities among the USA and South Africa with admire to race, strength, oppression and fiscal inequities are awesome, and a greater knowing of those parallels grants academic profits for college students and educators in either nations. via shared reviews and views, this quantity offers scholarly paintings from U.
- The Teacher's Attention: Why Our Kids Must and Can Get Smaller Schools and Classes
- Making a Difference in Urban Schools: Ideas, Politics, and Pedagogy
- Neoliberalism, Education, and Terrorism: Contemporary Dialogues
- A Strategic Governance Review for Multi-organizational Systems of Education, Training, and Professional Development
- Schooling for Life: Community Education and Social Enterprise
Additional resources for A Learning-Centered Framework for Education Reform: What Does It Mean for National Policy?